Skip to main content

Facing politics and money on my path to arts and equity...

 As a career educator, and a 1st gen college student who once had very little confidence in my financial literacy or business skills, I'd never have guessed that I'd become a person who studies state budgets, or sends bill commentary to my legislators, or attends meetings in Olympia. But sure enough, that's now my reality. And I'm starting to enjoy it.

Why? Because as an educator, I'd experienced so many situations which showed me that school funding and budgeting are at the root of equity--or inequity-- in our education system. And it was disheartening to repeatedly have meaningful conversations with my colleagues then feel like we weren't being heard by the many many people guiding that education system. As an educator, I was often unsure of which decision makers to reach, or how to get our point across. Education might be a bipartisan topic overall, but in order to effect change, we have to learn how to navigate the political landscape, and the field of education policy.

So now I spend my days advocating for equitable arts education, and helping others find their voice to advocate for their community as well! This means spending a LOT of time studying RCWs related to education, bills related to education, budgets for school districts and OSPI and Washington State, and meeting with educators, administrators, or students to strategize about next steps. And I've found 2 things particularly encouraging: 1) By focusing on details that impact equity in arts education, the scope of information feels a little less overwhelming than my younger self would have expected. After all, I know the field of arts education, so I'm building on a prior foundation. And 2) Washington State is FULL of would-be arts ed advocates who are looking for some guidance and connection with other advocates, and as a teacher I'm right at home providing connection and guidance to help people reach their goals. We are all still learning, and we are stronger together! 

Today, I'm sharing my most recent public comment on SJR 8207 - 2023-24 in hopes that some of you will find the confidence to submit a public comment as well. You're even welcome to copy/paste from my comment if you share my opinion. And if you make a comment, I hope you'll let me know! I'll be excited to cheer you on! 


BILL: 8207 - Amending the [Washington State] Constitution to allow a majority of voters voting to authorize school district bonds. (For)

MESSAGE:  
I was a new teacher in the old Shadle Park High School building when one morning, a giant glob of something like mud leaked through the roof and onto my head. Disgusted and embarrassed, I requested permission to rush home and shower before teaching my next class. But not all building-related accidents can be addressed so quickly. Students (and staff) deserve to work in environments that are safe, clean, and modernized.

Additionally, student athletes and artists often struggle to share limited and ineffective practice spaces like small classrooms or limited gyms. I have personally been made to teach numerous dance classes in "empty" locker rooms, concrete breezeways, loud and crowded hallways where students could hardly hear me, shared gyms with baseballs bouncing off the walls and rolling through, and tile-floored cafeterias with squished tomatoes and trash underfoot. As instructors, we mitigate the safety concerns and distractions as best we, but those environments still reduce the overall level of safety and learning opportunity. After Shadle Park High School's building remodel, these struggles were greatly reduced. Students (and staff) deserve to work in environments that are clean, modernized, and large enough for them to move safely for their designated activities.

In Washington State, many other issues are passed with a vote from the simple majority, and I believe it is time that bonds are also passed with a simple majority.

I also want to echo the words of State Superintendent, Chris Reykdal: "Student learning is impacted when a school has a leaking roof, when students are squeezed into spaces because the building isn’t big enough, and when classrooms are too outdated to meet the needs of 21st century learning. It’s time that we treat school construction funding like the basic education necessity that it is."







For anyone looking to begin their advocacy journey, I'll recommend starting with the resources at ArtsEd Washington, and the Bill Tracker at League of Education Voters. And I'd love for you to join me! 
By this time next year, you might even be in our pictures at the Capitol! 


Comments