Skip to main content

Artistic Respite

The last few years have been so filled with personal losses and challenges that I still can’t even begin to write about them. To be honest, I don’t know if I even want to try. I’m definitely feeling stronger and more clear on my future direction lately though, and that is due in large part to the respite I’ve experienced through variety of artistic mediums over these many months. 

I’ve done a great amount of soul searching, reading, listening, watching, making, growing, and resting… or at least learning to rest… and I’ve started to make peace with removing the “should” expectations that I usually place on myself. Slowly but surely, I’ve been increasing my socializing, fitness, and productivity, but in small increments that truly feel right rather than through my previously hyperproductive habits. 

This past weekend, I hosted an event for a nonprofit, and afterward I enjoyed a thoughtful conversation with several local artists. It was wonderful to see inside their journey, and to be inspired by their passion. Before we left, I encouraged them to apply for some artists rosters so that other people can begin learning about their work… Then I realized that ironically, I’ve never applied for myself. And so, I decided it was time to draft a short bio to share in artistic spaces… starting with this blog where I occasionally post my thoughts… and where you will also see that I’m giving myself permission to rest in the “silence between the notes.”

Artist bio:
I am a lifelong performing artist and arts advocate. I taught English language arts in public schools for nearly 15 years, while also teaching dance as an art form and performing in various musical theater productions. I currently choreograph for several musical theatre programs throughout the Spokane area. And I have served as a board member for ArtsEd Washington since 2019. 


As most artists, I have many passions, but my greatest passion is exploring the intersection between any combination of arts, and the intersection between personal and cultural experiences. One of my current professional goals is to expand arts access in outlying regions and underserved neighborhoods. If your community has a need that could be supported by an artistic experience, or if you need a person to help bring your artistic ideas to life, please reach out! 

To check out other Spokane area artists, visit Spokane Creators.


Comments