Skip to main content

I didn't think teaching could get any harder...

Full disclosure: Teaching is HARD! Online teaching is somehow even harder! Teaching online (and/or hybrid) in the middle of ever-changing social situations and a pandemic is UNREALISTICALLY HARD!

I usually take pride in my ability to differentiate for students’ various needs but with online learning, that’s basically become one of my main job requirements! There’s no time left in the day to grade—just barely enough time to respond to the individual messages and try to plan their supports/modifications/extra meetings.

Some days, my eyes are dry and burning and my heart is broken by student stories even before 10AM. On those days, I practically give up all hope of grading because it takes every ounce of professionalism to stay strong through my next 6 hours of Zoom meetings. And by the way, that is in no way a complaint! I sincerely value the fact that students are willing to reach out, and I value the fact that my job allows me to support them in different ways. I have seen programs where instructors were not nearly as encouraged to modify, and I have seen classrooms where students don’t feel welcome to share. I’m extremely grateful to be a part of these authentic professional relationships! 

I guess I just wish they were more hours in the day, or less trauma in each day, or fewer students in each class, or fewer expectations on educators these days.

I am so ridiculously proud of my colleagues for their flexibility and life-changing work, and of my future teachers for their vision and resiliency. I am also really grateful (and relieved) for all of the passing school levies this week. My deep hope is that if and when this pandemic ever ends, we will sincerely consider how to improve our education system so that it can be more authentically supportive of our students… and our educators.

Comments