Skip to main content

We all have a lot to learn about education in 2020...

As more and more STATES and SCHOOL DISTRICTS are releasing their plans for how their schooling will happen in the fall, I’m seeing more and more anxiety and frustration from people’s responses. Friends, please remember there are NO EASY, OBVIOUS ANSWERS, because no matter how obvious one viewpoint might seem to YOU, we have millions of families coming from various experiences across the country and they all have different concerns. I really don't think a singular solution exists, so the most important contribution I can offer in this conversation is my wider perspective.
I’ve been a teacher for about 20 years, and a teacher of incoming teachers for 5. I have worked in or alongside approximately 60 schools throughout Washington State. I love my students and their families and my coworkers very much and I wish we could find some magical answer that would fix this situation we’re in.
But honestly, I'm still torn about what I wish for the 2020-2021 school year.
I’m worried about the health/safety of our students if returning in person. I’m worried that so few people seem to consider the health/safety of the STAFF if returning in person. I’m worried about how each school will proceed when the first student or staff gets diagnosed down the road. I’m worried that if students have to sit still in desks and face forward and not move around or group up or interact in creative ways, then learning will still be stunted. I’m worried about the mental health of students (and parents and educators) if we don’t go back in person. I’m worried about the parents and guardians who would struggle to balance their job and students who would be home again all day. I’m worried about students who live in unsafe or unstable environments and will miss out on food and support services if school is only online. I’m worried about families without reliable internet access or enough devices or rooms for everyone to focus at their schoolwork or job while at home. I’m worried about families with language or learning barriers trying to navigate without a qualified teacher nearby. I’m worried about how much all of these situations disproportionately impact already disadvantaged populations. I’m worried about schools or students who would wrongfully lose funding if they’re only given an online option. I’m worried about how teachers are supposed to find the extra time and money to keep their buildings safe enough in person. I’m worried about about returning to a rigid school day without outlets like choir, dance, theatre, PE, and sports.
I’m worried that a lot of politicians and even parents aren’t considering the professional judgement of the teachers/counselors/administrators who should be guiding this conversation. I’m worried that people will take out their frustration on teachers either way...and not just on social media, although that’s already becoming quite painful, but also in the behaviors of our actual classrooms... I’m worried about how to create a respectful learning environment where half the students are afraid of catching the virus and the other half are permanently angry that they have to wear a mask.
Plus I’m worried that our world still has so many mixed messages that it’s hard to even know what to believe at this point, much less to know how we should be reacting to it all. And maybe worst of all, I’m worried that so many people in society have lost their ability to be civil and and considerate of others’ needs in these extremely traumatic times...
There is NO EASY, OBVIOUS answer to how schools should operate this year. But I KNOW THIS for sure: No matter what happens, we need our families to teach their students to move beyond the current anger and fear; we need YOU to help us bring respect and hope back into our schools.

Comments