Skip to main content

Yes, school seems like a scary place these days, but then again, so is our world...

In my 15+ years as a teacher, I've never seen such fear for physical and emotional security as what I've seen this year...and I’ve struggled to find the words to talk about it but I think it’s important that I try to share.

In addition to the social-emotional support that teachers offer in an average year, I’ve had to council my high school and university students after 3 separate shootings that have forever changed the way they’ll view their world; In the last month, I’ve also tried to support them through 2 threats that they suspected were aimed at our own high school. The last 1 was the day my dance team left for the State Championships and it was a frightening whirlwind of emotions for everyone. My main solace was getting on a bus with my students and driving away from the situation, but my students and I continued to worry about our school for the rest of the day. Although I’m glad my students all know that our dance class is a safe place, and that they get the chance to express their emotions on the dance floor, those facts don’t even begin to counteract the violence and disrespect that they feel throughout their society. And if we're being honest, the adults who work in schools feel beaten down by these as well....

Even before this year's tragedies and threats, teaching was already harder than most people recognize, but this has been an extra volatile and fragile year. And it hasn’t left much time for trying to take care of my own feelings...I keep trying to give what I can for my kids...but many of us educators have become trapped in somewhat unhealthy cycles...pouring into our hurting students even though we are already drained, so we try even harder, and end up even more exhausted.

In the face of all this, I have redefined my belief that teaching is not just a job or a career; it is a calling, and I am honored to be among the many dedicated professionals who put their own well being on the line every single day to make sure our kids have the best education, the best learning environment, and the best future we can possibly give them. 

For all the educators who read this (teachers, secretaries, counselors, custodians, administrators, cafeteria workers, coaches, etc.), if you are struggling with your own doubts and emotions during this time, please know you are not alone and that it’s ok to take time to let yourself recover once in a while. And know that I applaud you, just as I applaud today’s students, for trying to change our world through the small acts of kindness and the big acts of bravery that I see from you all even when the media isn’t looking. 

Yes, school seems like a scary place these days, but then again, so is our world.… So instead of letting that fear consume me, I am trying to focus on the good fight that is now growing in the hearts of our people….Many of our students and educators now seem truly determined to change the world from the inside out! In schools all across the northwest, I have seen amazing people stepping up AND stepping out to start these changes lately, and this has begun to renew my feelings of confidence and inspiration.

I want to thank my friends and family members who have tried supporting us as we wrestle through these difficult times and struggle with these tough decisions, and I have one request for the friends and family who haven’t quite figured that out yet: Before you criticize the attempts that students and/or educators are making, please ask yourself if your argument is really worth overshadowing the good that we are trying to accomplish! 

Instead of arguments and criticism, please find a way to support actual change.... Volunteer at your local schools; cheer on your local arts and sports programs, pass your local bonds and levies; donate equipment or story books or other resources; listen with an open mind and an open heart to your students —and educators—and try to learn from our experiences.

Don't bring more negativity into our schools by arguing about 
who has the best method for change;
Find a way to support us, and together we will change this world for the better!

"I'm a TEACHER. What's your superpower?"
(Special thanks to my fabulous teacher friend, Kelsey, for this inspiring mug.)

Comments