Since my new job involves a LOT of driving, I've recently found myself reflecting on the strangely satisfying things that happen when you spend too much time in the car.
1) When the tempo of the song lines up with the tempo of your turn signal.
2) When the guy who cut you off a mile ago gets stuck in a slow lane and you casually pass him by.
3) When two or three cars pull out of adjacent streets or parking lots at the exact same moment. (Like in a spy movie!)
4) Trying out a hidden back road or shortcut...and making it out alive!
5) Finally knowing a new route well enough that you don't need to use MapQuest anymore.
6) Actually taking a moment (or twenty) to notice the changing autumn landscape as you drive by.
7) A great excuse to try lots of different restaurants and coffee stands as you drive between locations.
8) Getting to say "yeah, I've been there" when someone mentions an obscure location.
9) When you park at your destination and the song ends at the exact same moment.
10) The opportunity/necessity to go "old school" and talk on the phone more than text. (I didn't know how much I missed this until now!)
As if this list wasn't already enough to enjoy, I'm also loving the new job itself! Now if only I could enjoy all this without having to sit all day...but I guess we all have to make sacrifices.