Skip to main content

Untitled (so far)

I recently attended a workshop where we were asked to write a poem focusing on our choice of imagery and poetic structure. I decided to include only sensory words: no articles, prepositions, conjunctions, or even emotional or intellectual descriptors. Just what can be imagined through a few of the five senses. 

I'm not 100% settled on everything in this piece yet, but it was interesting to try writing a poem under a time constraint and with such specific expectations. And I'm curious to see if my image is understandable to anyone other than me. 


Skies, horizons, distance downward. 
             Jumping. Pushing. Rushing. 
Empty, open, spacious, vacant. 
              Winds. Gusts. Gravity. 
Jagged, hard, hot, sharp. 
              Rocks. Edges. Ledges. 
Rope, restraint, harness, anchor?
              Whip. Rip. Reverse. 
Forceful fleeing, flailing, falling. 
              Bounce. Shrink. Stop. 

Comments