Skip to main content

I’m ready for tattoo number two. Maybe…

Just three hours ago, I got my first tattoo! A symbolic image of a dancer and a cross blended together. Actually, I’m surprised at how much of a jerk the tattoo artist was about my so-called “abstract” design. And if I weren’t so determined to have it done today, I probably would have taken my “anatomically impossible” design to someone who was more open-minded…But that hasn’t dissuaded me from planning out my second tat!

My next idea is inspired by the organization called “To Write Love on her Arms.” Like my first tattoo (Yay!), this one will also be a blended image: a cross with the word “love” scrolling down the center beam. I love the symbolism of my new design. I love that it references TWOLA organization and the victims my heart goes out to. And I love that the word “love” can mean so much more than just caring for others in need. A quick Internet search showed these common connotations of the word “love”: adoration, brotherly love, compassion, deep appreciation, infatuation, puppy love, romantic love, and unconditional love.

I thought about the various types and how each might be represented in my new tattoo and I came to the conclusion that my design doesn't really focus on the types of love but the quality of love. And I believe the following can improve the quality of just about any type!

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I pondered this list for a while and determined that I couldn’t describe love's goals any better on my own. So that’s where I’ll stop. Now whether my newest design ends up on a tattoo or just a painting in my kitchen, I'm excited that I've found a way to visually represent these ideas about the quality of Love! (Oh and if anyone forgot, that description is from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, NIV. Who knew that the depth of my love, and of my tattoo design, would both come from the Bible?!)

Comments

sean lumsden said…
well done... i love the fact that the two of you are in my life! s