Skip to main content

Mode: Repeat

I've been informed that most "normal" people don't listen to the same song on repeat for days BUT since I'm clearly "normal" in every other way, I'll admit this unusual little quirk. My musical obsessions usually take one of two forms: "some'in' you can dance to" (Missy quote, case in point) or emotional undertow. Since the former provides less fodder for discussion (and makes me sound less smart), I'll request suggestions for the latter.

My emotive repeats usually have a billowing melody line and gentle but pulling rhythm, highly connotative lyrics, and vivid images. (And no, that's not due to my degrees. I'm pretty sure these preferences caused my interest in teaching music/English.) Their content varies though. Some are encouraging, others are melancholy, and several are quite spiritual. They don't necessarily have to parallel my current situations; they just have to pull me in.

Some of my recent repeats:
Wrapped in Your Arms, Fireflight
C.S. Lewis Song, Brooke Fraser
Deciphering Me, Brooke Fraser
Closing In, Imogen
The Moment I Said It, Imogen
Beautiful Disaster, Kelly
See His Love, Kim Walker

And I'm only partially sorry for listing these. I never tire of them.
Perfect, Alanis
Never is a Promise, Fiona
Name, Goo Goo Dolls
Don't Speak, No Doubt

That's my initial list. What am I still missing?

Comments

Megan Dorris said…
Off the top of my head:
Once, The Swell Season
Lies, The Swell Season
When Your Mind's Made Up, The Swell Season
Someday Soon, KT Tunstall
Gone to the Dog, KT Tunstall
Throw Me a Rope, KT Tunstall
Paper Aeroplane, KT Tunstall
Ran for Miles, Gemma Hayes
White Shadows, Coldplay
Talk, Coldplay
Fix You, Coldplay
Yes, Coldplay
Love is Waiting, Brooke Fraser
Faithful, Brooke Fraser
Here's My Life, BarlowGirl
I Don't Regret, BarlowGirl
FOREIGN REPEAT-WORTHY SONGS:
Tere Bin, Atif Aslim
Yeh Yo Des Hai Tera, A.R. Rahman
Dhire Jalna, Gulzar
Mausam, Nitin Sawhney
Milan, Karsh Kale
...and I need to get back to work so that's all for now. :)
Miranda Leigh said…
Ahhhh, Swell Season! How could I forget! Is "When your mind's made up" the one in 5/4?

And yes, I need to return to KT soon. But the last 5, those are new to me. I'll have to give them a try!

Finally I've been wondering, Meg. When are you ever "back to work"? :)
Eve said…
You're not alone. When I find a new favorite (or come across an old one) I listen to it over and over and over and over... ;)